Search Engine Optimization Guide
Search engines use the content of the title tag to test against your page content:
- keywords: include your most important target keywords in your page title near the beginning
- length: 70 characters is the maximum number of characters that most search engines will display
- branding: if you want to include your store's name, it's a good idea to do it at the end of the title
- readability: potential customers won’t click an unclear title or a jumble of keywords, so make sure your title tag is readable.
A meta description is the brief bit of text that shows up on a search engine like Google after your title tag. The meta description can be set for your homepage as well as other pages, collections, and blog posts using the Shopify admin. It is a good practice to make sure each page has a different meta description. Try to describe your store in plain, direct language. A good description will cause more people to click links to your store.
You can set the title tag and meta description of the homepage of your online store in Shopify:
- From your Shopify admin, click Online Store, and then click Preferences.
- Enter a title and meta description: