How to Promote e Commerce Website?
Promote your e-commerce site to find new customers.
Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
In the past, selling your products meant managing a brick-and-mortar store and limiting yourself to a primarily local customer base. Today, all you need to advertise your inventory is Internet access and a website. An e-commerce website makes it easy for customers around the world to shop at your virtual store. If you don't promote your e-commerce website, though, customers won't be able to find it. A variety of free and paid advertising methods are available online, allowing you to choose the ones that best fit your budget and business plan.
2. Start and maintain a blog that relates to your e-commerce website. For instance, if you sell DVDs on your website, write articles about new movie releases on your blog. Link the blog and the e-commerce website together. If a reader likes your blog, he may visit your website.
3. Find forums related to your e-commerce website. Use your website's URL as your forum signature, if allowed to do so. Participate regularly in forum discussions. Get to know other posters and tell them about your website.
4. Add your website to Google Places and other directories if your business has a physical location. Google Places works best if you're trying to attract local customers.
5. Look for other websites related to your e-commerce site. Ask the site owner if they would like to link to your website. If they agree, return the favor by putting a link to their site on yours.
6. Use the power of social networking sites, such as Twitter and Facebook, to share your e-commerce website with others. Make a Facebook page dedicated to your e-commerce site and encourage customers to become your fans. Use Twitter to tweet about your sales, special offers and news related to your site.
7. Create business cards and pamphlets with your e-commerce URL printed on them. Hand them out whenever appropriate.
8. Ask existing customers to tell their friends about your website. In exchange, offer a discount on a future purchase.
9. Buy Pay-Per-Click (PPC) ads. These targeted ads appear in search results. If someone clicks on the ads, they visit your site and you pay a fee. This type of advertising is quite effective, but often expensive.
- Don't spam forums, blog posts or email addresses with advertising. This will only annoy potential customers.